Wednesday, September 10, 2008

wooden nickels


I just want to say how much I like it when I hear sayings that are fairly commonplace that I've never heard before...they get my creative humor going, which is good because that leads to other ideas and hypothetical situations...For example...

I was talking with a friend the other night about how one of their grandparents used to say "don't take any wooden nickels" and we were both sort of like, "what does that even mean?"

So we tried to figure out what it meant and it turns out we were pretty close. I also saw that there's a wooden nickel on the new white flag website! It made me think of Twin Peaks [as do many things] where Special Agent Dale Cooper says:
"Gentlemen. When two separate evens occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object in inquiry we must always pay strict attention."

This friend who told me about this made me think what the modern version of this saying would be. The best I could come up with was to tell your kids not to pick up money that is super glued to the floor/street unless you came prepared with something to pry it off with, and then what do you have? A quarter for a lot of time and effort.

All in all it looks like wooden nickels are kind of like when you get drink tickets that have a time limit that you just missed, or if you bought raffle tickets and have to be present to win, but your name is called while you're out for a smoke or in the bathroom.

I'll stop speculating now, but I can't believe I'd never heard that saying before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment, please leave your name at least so we all don't get creeped out.

Let's face it-- the internet's a big, weird place to hang out-- you could potentially go from clever to creepy in an instant by choosing to go anonymous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...