Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Just My Type is so aptly titled because I already love it


I just started reading this book about type...and it's not just interesting to graphic designers. I found a review of the book that describes it better than I possibly could, and also npr did a piece on the book if listening is more your thing than reading, although if you like both the author also put the first chapter/the intro online to sample. If you're an ereader type person, there's even an app for that. DO IT.

PS- This evening marked my third day at bigwidesky, and before heading out, I was reviewing the document I worked on today (and yesterday) and upon his seeing it, I was given a recommendation for the free font Quicksand (which I have on my home computer btw, designed by Andrew Paglinawan, his first font) by a very lively, talkative, and friendly ten year old boy named Wolfie. He very astutely observed that it was a little like the font I was using (Gotham, mostly Book, some Medium and Bold; so he got the sans serif thing down) only "with more space between the letters." I knew what he was talking about, but before I could stop myself I blurted out, "we probably have a little different taste in fonts..." (foot in mouth...let your new font fanatic kid friend relate to you, HL!) which luckily he wasn't phased by, because he pretty much went along to explain exactly why I think it's a little bit of a pain to use for much of anything but headlines or titles...because you have to change the spacing (in most every free font) but as he pointed out "you can change it in the program"... what I want to know is... how did he figure out how to change the spacing if he only knows how to use MS Word? Last time I attempted to do that I got frustrated and went "this is why I word process in InDesign argh!" Maybe I will bring in the book and see if Wolfie has any interest in it, or if he'll get bored by the time Chip Kidd talks about how much he loves New Order album covers in the Preface.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment, please leave your name at least so we all don't get creeped out.

Let's face it-- the internet's a big, weird place to hang out-- you could potentially go from clever to creepy in an instant by choosing to go anonymous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...