Monday, July 9, 2012

Marina Abramovic The Artist Is Present Movie Tonight at Webster Film Series

Tonight Webster Film Series is showing a documentary on endurance performance artist Marina Abramovic. I know my friend Christine went to her show at MoMa a few years back and was in awe of it, and even though I didn't see it in person, I really enjoyed this blog called "Marina Abramovic made me cry" that compiled photographs of people crying at the exhibit and then how long it took them to tear up or how long they sat there (I don't remember which it was), if anyone I know feels like going, I'd consider going to see it, so I'll see if it's just for art people or if other kinds of people would enjoy it also. Info and Trailer below.


Marina Abramovic The Artist Is Present
Matthew Aker, 2012, USA, 105 min.
Weekend, July 6, 7 & 8 at 7:30 pm, Monday, July 9 at 7:30 pm
Seductive, fearless, and outrageous, Marina Abramovic has been redefining performance art for nearly 40 years. Using her body as a medium, and pushing herself beyond her physical and mental limits, Abramovic creates emotionally provocative work that transgresses boundaries and expands consciousness. She is, quite simply, one of the most compelling artists of our time. Marina Abramovic The Artist Is Present is both an intimate portrait and an experiential encounter with an astonishingly magnetic, endlessly intriguing woman who draws no distinction between life and art.
The Fourth Annual Classic French Film Festival presented by TV5MONDECo-sponsored by Cinema St. Louis and The Webster University Film Series


Trailer - Marina Abramovic The Artist is Present from Show of Force on Vimeo.

Here's about a 10 minute long video where she is talking about her work and going through it in preparation of her 2010 MoMa show. I like how she is horrified, amused, and totally laughing at her old early work, which I think any creative professional can relate to. I also like that she says, "We're always so afraid of pain – and I am afraid of pain in my private life – but I am staging situations where I have to go through the painful moments and I can take the energy from the public to give me this, actually strengths, you actually very consciously start understanding what is the pain and how you actually can control it. If I cause pain to myself in order to free myself from the fear of pain, that means pain is okay."

2 comments:

If you comment, please leave your name at least so we all don't get creeped out.

Let's face it-- the internet's a big, weird place to hang out-- you could potentially go from clever to creepy in an instant by choosing to go anonymous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...